Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Google Docland

So far, the most exciting thing about Google Docs is its freeness. I used this word hoping to trip a spell check, but I haven't found it yet. While exploring I noticed you can export the new work as an HTML document and even export to the Office suite choices. This all sounds pretty neat. I am intrigued by the "save copy as a presentation" feature, but at this point, I don't want to mess too much with my assignment. The share feature actually seems to be the most interesting since it would be more secure than an open wiki, and much easier than sending e-mails to each other. Ok, so what does the quote symbol do besides enter thin text boxes below the original paragraph? Does it include " or do you need to add these? I am thinking this is for a paper or article with a quote paragraph, but not used all that often outside of the academic realm...hmmmm. Ooohh, I also noticed the little flashing red "save" feature every few seconds...that's pretty cool since we could have a pc crash or power outage any second.... a safety feature that Word should really adopt. I hate to blog and run...but this one seems pretty simple yet very useful. I can think of several instances I could have used this with past committee assignments.

**Update: I did encounter an error in trying to publish to my blog. The pop-up box that requires you to enter your blog id and password also has a place to give the name of your blog and says that this allows the correct blog to be the post recipient. If this is not filled in Google states the program will select whichever blog it comes to first. Problem: I have more than one blog and the non-Blue 2.0 blog is listed first in my dashboard. I looked around for a place to switch the dashboard order, but couldn't find it.....so as an experiment, I allowed the Google Docs item to publish anyway. I didn't like it. The title was not in my nice bold print with designer color and my body font was not consistent with the rest of the blog posts. Being two Google items, I would have thought this process would have been more seamless. I assume it will become more seamless as time roles along, but for now Google Docs looks to be limited to group work or writing on the fly from a foreign computer.

4 comments:

historiana said...

Ok, it turns out that the dashboard order goes by which blog you last posted to. After I posted the Google Docs post manually, the dashboard had reversed. If there is a manual way to reverse order without posting, that would be cool. On the other hand, if Google's little pop-up box blog title area in Google Docs would have worked like it is supposed to, my dashboard order would not have mattered. Oh well - C'est la vie.

kate said...

This was interesting - I just discovered that you kept a second blog. I didn't know about google docland. This was interesting.

I liked your post on Georgetown ... the Civil War re-enactment must be interesting. And good for you getting your Master's degree in LIS.

I worked in a library at the reference desk when I first graduated from university... it was wonderful. And then I went off to law school... little did I know how helpful my reference learning would be.

historiana said...

Thanks! Ironically, I have met so many people in the program who started in law school, then ended up becoming a law librarian! Libraries and the law: birds of a feather in many ways :-)

kate said...

It's interesting how that happens. I worked for an organisation that dealt with the dissemination of legal information. Most of the law librarians had started off in law school - many had both a law and LIS degree. That was back in 1985. The world has changed a lot since then!